Alston Medical Practice

01434 381 214

Make a complaint

At Alston Medical Practice we are all committed to providing the best possible care we can for our patients. However, sometimes things go wrong and we welcome feedback from patients, carers and visitors to help us put things right and to learn from our mistakes.

We have a procedure to ensure that we:

  • Resolve the complaint as quickly as possible.
  • See the complaint through to a satisfactory conclusion for the complainant.
  • Follow up any lessons to be learned for the future.

If you wish to make a complaint, please phone or write to our Practice Manager who will take full details of your complaint and decide how best to undertake the investigation.

We will:

  • Acknowledge your complaint in writing within 3 working days.
  • Provide information about the complaints procedure and timetable.
  • Undertake a thorough investigation.
  • Aim to write to you with a full explanation within 10 days. Occasionally, if we have to make further enquiries it might take a little longer, but we will keep you informed.

Please note

We normally expect complaints to be made within twelve months of your having realised there were grounds for complaint.

A complaint may be made by a patient about their own care and treatment or by a parent or guardian on behalf of a child.

A complaint may be made on behalf of another person only with their consent.

Complaints about other NHS services or non-NHS services must be addressed to the relevant provider.

NHS complaints procedures

If you are not happy with the results of our investigation we will invite you to the surgery to discuss the complaint and our findings. You may bring a friend or relative with you to the meeting.
If you are still not fully satisfied with our response to your complaint you may pursue your complaint by writing to the Health Service Ombudsman examines complaints that have not been resolved with the practice.

Independent advice and support

The Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS) provides advice and support to people wishing to complain about the NHS.

You can also contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for local contact details.